There are over 1,200 councillors across Scotland, working to represent and support their communities. At LGiU Scotland, we want to recognise and reward those councillors who go the extra mile for their constituents, so in 2018 with sponsorship from CCLA, investors for local authorities, we launched the first Scottish Councillor awards. The awards were a great success, so we’ll be holding them in 2019 too.
About the awards
There are eight award categories celebrating the varied work of councillors. Anyone can nominate a serving councillor for an award: members of the public, councillors and council officers – the only rule is that you can’t nominate yourself!
Nominations for the 2019 awards will open throughout the summer, at which point we will shortlist the entries that demonstrate the best of Scottish local government. A panel of judges made up of senior figures from in and around Scottish local government will then select a winner for each category.
Awards will be presented at a ceremony at the end of November. The location is to be decided.
- Urban Community Champion: for councillors in predominantly urban constituencies who have gone above and beyond in supporting their communities
- Rural Community Champion: for councillors in predominantly rural constituencies who have gone above and beyond in supporting their communities
- Innovation and Digital: for councillors who have been particularly innovative or inclusive in helping to roll out digital solutions
- Champion for Education: for councillors who have performed outstanding work in the field of education
- Environmental Impact to celebrate councillors who have made an outstanding contribution to their local or wider environments
- Lifetime Contribution: for councillors who have gone above and beyond for their communities over an extended period of time
- New councillor of the Year: for recently elected councillors who are already making a noticeable impact in their communities in a short time
- Leader of the Year: to celebrate the work of an exceptional Council Leader
These award categories are subject to change year on year depending on the variety of nominations we receive.
The shortlist and the winners of the 2018 awards can be seen here
The 2019 Councillor Awards ceremony will take place on at the end of November. Stay tuned for further details.
These awards are made possible by the support of our sponsor, CCLA.