£15,500 p/a pro rata
The LGiU is a membership organisation and think tank working to promote local democracy. We are engaged in a wide range of research and consultancy projects with partners in the local government, private and charitable sectors. We also run LGiU Scotland, LGiU Ireland and will soon launch in Australia.
You can find out more about the LGiU on our websites at:
We are now looking for an outstanding individual to provide support to our membership work. Initially, this will include the following:
- Checking and uploading policy briefings.
- Updating the LGiU website.
- Supporting policy blogs.
- Organising and supporting visits to LGiU members.
- Sending out updates from LGiU to our members.
The position is for 6 months, working full time (35 hours per week). This role is suitable for graduates/post-graduates, or individuals who are looking to take a next step to working in local government, policy development or a membership body. It will be based at the LGiU’s offices in Edinburgh. The LGiU is a flexible employer and you can work as many days as you wish at either our Edinburgh office or at home. There will be occasional visits to London and Dublin.
This will give you the opportunity to work across different aspects of a busy think-tank, including; membership relations, liaison with councils, policy and communications.
The role carries excellent prospects for the right candidate to work in the membership and local government spheres.
Daily responsibilities will include:
- Checking LGiU communications with members are up to date
- Check policy briefings and upload to the LGIU website
- Check and send communications to members via Mailchimp
- Organise visits to member councils in Scotland, Ireland and England
- Research relationships and contacts at UK councils
- Supporting the preparation and delivery of LGiU member events
- Drafting and sending weekly briefings to our members
- Managing correspondence between LGiU and members
- Updating and creating databases of contacts
- Day-to-day administration, as required
- Administrative support to the partnership team
- Good IT skills with the ability to learn how to use different programmes. We use MailChimp, Nutshell CRM, Trello and WordPress
- A demonstrable interest in local government and policy
- An interest in developing LGIU membership
- An appreciation of local councils and the role of councillors
- Outstanding written communication and analytical skills coupled with a consistently high level of attention to detail
- Eloquent and effective oral communicator with exceptional interpersonal skills
- Experience of building professional relationships
- Excellent organisational and time management skills; with the ability to work under pressure
- Ability to think on your feet and work with minimal supervision
- Educated to degree level
- Clear thinker, with a strong sense of self-initiative and drive
Thursday 10th May at 12pm. Please note that applications will not be accepted after this time. Interviews will be held on Friday, 18th May. The start date is anticipated to be 4th June.
To apply for this opportunity please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter of no more than one side of A4 which outlines: why you are interested in this post; and how your experience meets the person specification to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of Andy Johnston.
If you have any questions about this role, please contact Andy Johnston on 020 7554 2800.